There are several ways to capture pigeons or birds, but this is the most creative and effective way to do it.
What you need:
- A wire cage
- An empty paint pail or plastic bucket with cover
- A plastic water bottle
- Some plastic straw rope
1. Use mesh wire and some scrap wood to create a wire cage for the pigeons or birds. Determine the size according to how much movement you think they like. Leave an opening on top for the bucket. You may use Styropor over the cage to make the ideal round hole to fit in the bucket.
2. Cut two openings on opposite sides of the plastic bucket using a hot knife.
3. Hang the covered bucket on one side of a simple wooden lever. On the other side, hang the plastic water bottle filled with enough water to pull the plastic bucket up.
4. Fill the bottom with the pail with grain and kernels.
5. Pigeons are cautious and smart, so they won’t get into the bucket right away. Scatter some grain over the cage cover to take the pigeons to the trap. Once the trail of grain on the cover is consumed, the pigeons can’t resist the beckoning food inside the bucket.
6. Once the pigeon is inside the bucket, its full weight will bring the bucket down to the cage, and voilà!
There is nowhere to go for them but to go down into the cage. Rest assured that once you’ve got the pigeons inside the cage, they’re going to attract the others.